Annual Polar Bear plunges are traditions all across the world. In the US we associate cold water swimming with bikinis, shorts, or sometimes completely nude, sprinting into a partly frozen lake . Although these swims are riduculous to some people, the origins of these ice swimming practices are recorded all the way back to history in Russia, China, India, and Scandinavian countries. The cold shower is an ancient practice in India known as Ishnaan which is said to cleanse the inner organs and improve overall health. Whatever the reasons there are many studies showing the healing effects on ones body with a daily cold shower or bath.
Benefits of a Cold Shower
- Improved Circulation - cold water on the skin brings blood to the capillaries, increasing circulation throughout the body
- Increased Energy - cold water can help increase blood flow to the body helping to increase energy and mood
- Decreases Depression - improving circulation with cold water will boost your mood and relieve physical and mental stress
- Healther Skin and Hair - warm water washes away natural oils on the skin, cold water helps retain these natural oil, helping the hydration of the skin
- Increased Testosterone - cold showers help stimulate the production of testosterone, also improving sexual function and strength. Studies also show cold water increase sperm production.
- Flushes Organs of Waste by products - cold water cleans the circulatory system and blood supply, providing flushing for the internal organs. Muscle tissue also contract, helping to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes.
- Improved Immunity - cold showers can increase your metabolic rate and immune system, it effects the immune system by strengthing your mucous membrane, helping to combat allergies, colds, and hay fever.
- Better Sleep - cold water helps to lower core body temperture and lowers the release of cortisol, helping with sleep and better fat loss, studies suggest taking a cold shower an hour before bedtime
Jason Stone Fitness